Category: Scottish history

If you are ready to listen to me blether on about Scottish history for 10 minutes straight, go ahead and click the video. 

This is my favorite one so far! Still on the 2nd Day: A tour around Jarlshof, Shetland, and visting St Ninian’s Isle. Enjoy!

Photos of Jarlshof are here.

Forteviot | Perthshire | Scotland

This tiny and picturesque village has great historical importance for Scotland. Even though today’s buildings, save the parish church,

are from the 1920s, underneath the village are the remains of the 9th Century Pictish royal palace of Kenneth MacAlpin, who died here in 860AD, as well as a royal tomb from the early Bronze Age (around 2000BC). The parish church was built in 1778 and houses some historical Pictish items. We visited it during Doors Open Day and were able to see some original Pictish stones on display. To celebrate this historical connection and Forteviot’s status as an early Christian site, a new Pictish cross was commissioned with stone-carver David McGovern and unveiled in the centre of the village in 2018. 

Abernethy Round Tower and Museum Doors Open Day

This tower is one of two towers of the Irish Celtic type remaining in Scotland. It was likely built in the later 11th Century. The ground around the tower has been raised more recently and in the past there would have been a rope ladder leading up to the door, which could be pulled up to protect the people inside in case of an attack. The village of Abernethy was once the centre of a Pictish kingdom, who used the nearby Iron Age hill-fort ‘Castle Law’, which you can see from the top of the tower. Later on it was the seat of the Celtic Bishopric. Leaning against the tower is a Pictish stone and next to it hangs an iron collar, which was used to publicly shame people for wrong-doings. 

Abernethy Round Tower and Museum Doors Open Day

This tower is one of two towers of the Irish Celtic type remaining in Scotland. It was likely built in the later 11th Century. The ground around the tower has been raised more recently and in the past there would have been a rope ladder leading up to the door, which could be pulled up to protect the people inside in case of an attack. The village of Abernethy was once the centre of a Pictish kingdom, who used the nearby Iron Age hill-fort ‘Castle Law’, which you can see from the top of the tower. Later on it was the seat of the Celtic Bishopric. Leaning against the tower is a Pictish stone and next to it hangs an iron collar, which was used to publicly shame people for wrong-doings. 

Revisiting Places: Dunkeld Cathedral.

The oldest part dates from 1260, which makes it one of the oldest buildings in Scotland still in use. On the same site used to be a Culdee Monastery, stones from which were incorporated into the new building. The Culdees, after St Columba, were the first bringers of Christianity to Scotland and since Dunkeld (Dùn Chailleann, ‘Fort of the Caledonians’) is at the heart of Scotland it became the centre for Scottish Christianity at the time. This place is steeped in history. Nearby is Birnam Oak, the last remainder of ‘Birnam Wood’ from Shakespeare’s ‘Macbeth’, as well as an Iron Age hillfort currently being excavated.

Revisiting Places: Dunkeld Cathedral.

The oldest part dates from 1260, which makes it one of the oldest buildings in Scotland still in use. On the same site used to be a Culdee Monastery, stones from which were incorporated into the new building. The Culdees, after St Columba, were the first bringers of Christianity to Scotland and since Dunkeld (Dùn Chailleann, ‘Fort of the Caledonians’) is at the heart of Scotland it became the centre for Scottish Christianity at the time. This place is steeped in history. Nearby is Birnam Oak, the last remainder of ‘Birnam Wood’ from Shakespeare’s ‘Macbeth’, as well as an Iron Age hillfort currently being excavated.

Skaill House, a historic manor house and

home of William Graham Watt, who unearthed the nearby Neolithic village of Skara Brae.

Kirkwall Town Centre: St Magnus Cathedral, Bishop’s and Earl’s Palaces and Watergate

Peebles Old Parish Church